I've been jumping around (doing things out of order) and did not clear out the fuel line before installing the rebuilt carb, so I might have sent crap into the newly cleaned carb. I'll be tearing it apart again to check if I can't get it running soon.
I replaced the wires and plugs 'just because'; the next time I start it, I'll pull the plugs and look at them immediately post mortem. I'll check for spark then, too. I've read that it should jump a 3/8" gap. I gapped the plugs when I installed them.
A shot of ether after it dies does not bring it back, only time will fix it. That says 'flooded engine' to me, but I write software and have very delicate hands.
I bought a new tank and fuel line so all that should be 'ok'.
BTW - I have never seen this engine run, the dealer said it was 'tank tested' by them; I'm ready to call BS on that.