SailNet Community - View Single Post - Diesel Engine trouble-shooting
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012

JordanH is on a distinguished road
Re: Diesel Engine trouble-shooting

It appears that there was a half-teaspoon of water in the fuel filter cup, which I emptied. At first, I thought this may have gotten shaken up and pushed into the engine. However, when I reattached the fuel filter I had no success bleeding the fuel line. I detached the fuel filter intake and tried to start the syphon. Sucking on the hose was unusually difficult and the syphon, once started, wouldn't continue. I suspected a clogged intake so I blew as hard as I could through the line a few times and that seemed to loosen everything up.

The syphon runs cleanly now and the engine has been running for 20 minutes and sounds good.

So the problem is likely a clogged intake, but since I only temporarily unclogged it... uhm... how the heck am I going to clean the tank?! The closest thing to an inspection hatch is the fuel filler hose attachment which is barely big enough to see in, let alone reach in to clean.

What methods are there for cleaning out an old diesel tank? I don't think I should take my buddy's suggestion of a hose and dish detergent... ;-)

Maybe I'll call a mechanic to price a new plastic tank.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook