SailNet Community - View Single Post - Last Night at the Harvard Club
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Last Night at the Harvard Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post

Which brings us back to what I advise anyone venturing toward a liveaboard life: Buy as big as you can afford. You will much more likely regret buying too small than you will regret buying too big.

:-)
Different strokes for different strokes, as always, but I'd disagree with that to a certain extent...

No question, for most people living aboard in a marina setting, their boat functioning primarily as a houseboat, that approach will work for many people...

However, once a typical Mom & Pop cruising couple really start really going places, I think there's much less validity to such an approach... Especially as people age and become less fit, there's a real value in keeping the size of the boat within reason, and relatively modest... I'm often shocked at the extent to which some people out there today are "over-boated", and entirely dependent upon electrical or otherwise complex systems to deal with the physical loads larger boats bring to bear...

I've seen lots of clients over the years who succumbed to the desire to buy "the biggest boat they could afford"... Unfortunately, the tendency appears to be to greatly underestimate the costs involved beyond the initial purchase price, and such purchases invariably result in the boat's sitting still over time, instead of being actually used...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook