View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Smile Re: Nuclear s(n)ubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
While I'm at it, does anyone else have a problem understanding the Coast Guard when they read very fast over the VHF about hazzards or look outs for boats in trouble?
It reminds me of those famous movie scenes at the drive thru where the kid babbles something into the microphone and is read back a perfect order. Yes, I have the same problem with them. I am trying to listen and write at the same time. It doesn't work well. If I think I really need to know I just get on the frequency and ask them to repeat it slowly. I do like the practice that some CG Stations have adopted of having two people alternately read the document. At least you know when the subject changes. The down side is one person may be loud and modulating well, the second is mumbling and you can't hear a thing.

It gets worse when you are International. The speed may be slower but non-native English speakers reading the notice to mariners can be a trial. The only solution I know is to record the broadcast and then play it back a number of times.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook