SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stop freakin' waving at me!
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Re: Stop freakin' waving at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Must be an eastern Canadian thing.

Out west here, we are much more friendly. We wave, nod, acknowledge and generally are glad there are like minded people around.
Apparently it's only me - as almost everyone else on the water seemed to want to wave.

It's funny though how, what I thought was a tongue-in-cheek thread on an insignificant topic got nasty so quickly. It is also interesting that the people who seem to take such offense to my desire to be un-acknowledged appear to be the first to want to flip me the bird.

Interesting thoughts about the culturality of greetings though. I spent some time living in Cree communities in the North. The Cree don't greet you, they just come up, say their piece and leave without any kind of closure. It took me a year to realize that it wasn't just me: they did it with everyone. I even started interacting that way as well.

It took me a while to get back to the "How's it going?" openers and the "Okay. See ya later." departures.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook