SailNet Community - View Single Post - O'day 25 New Member
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012

sailpdx is on a distinguished road
O'day 25 New Member

Hello all. We play and relax on Hello Dolly, our O'day 25, on the Columbia River in Portland, Oregon. The boat has owned us for five years, and it has been a great pleasure to be in her service.

Though the boat came to us in good shape, it was rather bare when it came to instrumentation and rigging. The first thing I did after christening it was to bring all lines that I could aft to the cockpit to make it solo sailable. I installed rope clutches and a 3rd winch to control the halyards and boom wang. I tell you, I was quite nervous when drilling my first hole in the boat to install the clutches. I honestly feared that it would sink soon as I will drill my first hole...by the companion way! Well, it didn't sink, and I have been taking liberties with punching holes in it ever since. Next I installed a digital knot meter, a nicer marine grade FM radio that can also play songs from my Ipod, a newer 9.9hp outboard with electric start, and did some electrical upgrades. Next I took my sails (I believe them to be 1976 originals) to Northsails and had them serviced. Then I took them home and hand washed them. Following that I had the boat bottom painted. Now she's a lady, and the lady can sail!

I am new to sailing by any standard. I took my first sailing lesson in 2005 out of curiosity as to how the same wind can take the boat out and bring it back in. The fact that I am somewhat handy with tools has only helped the relationship with this boat. O'day 25 is a pretty boat from any angle. She is well built, and she sails well. The swing keel design is clever, and the step-down mast is easy to work with. However she was never designed for racing, and even in the local beer-can races, she is shy. The design elements clearly speak of the intention of its builders, and a fun and commodious pleasure sailor was all that was on their minds. Even the jib sheet block is in a fixed location, and not on a track. Now when was the last time you saw this setup? Also, you can't adjust the back stay, and the main sheet traveller has no blocks or lines. You have to slide it with your own muscle power. Fixing the traveller set up is next on my list, and the list goes on, and on, and on.

But what a spacious and well designed cabin it has. The cockpit is large, and visibility over the companionway/bulkhead is great. There are so many storage spaces and I sometimes forget where I stowed something. The V-berth is adequate for six footers, and the two (yes two) sinks come in handy.

I'd love to hear from other O'day sailors.

You can see some pictures here in my album.

Last edited by sailpdx; 08-15-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook