SailNet Community - View Single Post - 39th Annual St. Mary's Governor's Cup
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Re: 39th Annual St. Mary's Governor's Cup

We has an awesome ride (for us). I had an awesome crew this year - a few that had crewed for Audrey (thanks Trevor!!). We missed 10th in PHRF B by only 2 minutes which was hard to take but beat another by 2 minutes so it balanced out. Compared to last year, wind was moderate in our view at 15-20 with occasional gusts to 25 (why was it only during MY watch??). We flew a double reefed main and 145% genoa with twist induced in the tops of both sails to flatten the boat a bit to 20-25 degrees heel. As a result, our helm was neutral and boat speed was very good. But our Achilles heel was again sailing too many miles (110 NM). Gotta work on that.

When we turned the corner at Pt. Lookout, we set our reaching gennaker increasing boatspeed a full 1.5 knots to 7 knots. We replaced the "reacher" with the full spinnaker at the St. Mary's junction buoy after momentarily switching back to the genoa to keep boat speed up. It was a complicated change, but worked without a hitch. I plan to add another spinnaker halyard and avoid the swap to genoa in the future.

At one point we were on starboard and were crossed on port tack by a boat with NO running lights and grey racing sails. I couldn't see his numbers or name and Kattack was down. Otherwise, I would have protested the dirtball. Scared the @$#^S! out of me! Earlier, we were on starboard and someone was on port coming down on us having trouble reefing. He eventually headed downwind to reef (huh?) and I stayed our course. My crew thought that I should have ducked him, but I felt otherwise.

The Admiral (Vicky, "Victoria", get it?) really likes distance racing and is looking forward to next year. She also expressed an interest in Down The Bay. After 35 years, the girl keeps surprising me. If I can get crew and the logistics work out, I'm in!

PhotoBoat (plug intended) got some nice shots. I'm in the yellow ballcap and Vicky is in pink.

PhotoBoat Regatta Photography Gallery | Victoria | 2012 Gov Cup A 1286
PhotoBoat Regatta Photography Gallery | Victoria | 2012 Gov Cup A 1286

Last edited by Sabreman; 08-14-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook