SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Minor correction, but it can make a difference in shallow water. If you anchor in 10 feet of water with a 4 foot freeboard, you put out 98 feet, not 70. Or said differently, if you only put 70 feet out, you only have a roughly 5 to 1 scope.
Now imagine not adding bow height and anchoring and setting scope for 10' but also forgetting to add a 12' Maine tide.... Seen it a few times, often not pretty when the wind blows...

That 70' of scope you thought had you at 7:1 now needs to be 182' for 7:1 and you're now really at 2.7:1 scope when the tide comes in. Less than 3:1 is a long way from the 7:1 you thought you had..

It would be even worse if you initially set for 5:1..

10' @ 5:1 = 50' (forgetting g bow and tide height)

26' to bow chock at high tide = 1.9:1 scope from what you thought was 5:1....

Watched a guy on a remote Maine island lift his anchor right out of the bottom and his boat just drifted away. As the water got deeper his anchor was not even touching the bottom. I tried to save it in my dinghy but did not have the power into the wind. Luckily a lobsterman came along and we towed it back. My guess is he set for 2:1 at MLW then went for a hike on the island and never accounted for the bow height or the 12' tide that day.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook