SailNet Community - View Single Post - Little Ericsons, big problems?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012

reed1v is on a distinguished road
Re: Little Ericsons, big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshotonekill View Post
So, out of curiosity if nothing else, would you own. I'm married but not to a particular make of boat.
i like to sail long distances to really wierd places so prefer full/cutaway keels, aft cockpit, low freeboard, split rigs. rhodes, hans christians, pacific seacraft, and other similar builders made such. try pre 1980 with lead ballast. the lower center of gravity with lead really makes a difference. most of the time your sailing trades so will go at hull speed regardless how heavy or light you are. size of boat not as important as being able to single hand the boat. if you go the distance, you will hit things, be run into, and experience all sorts of mishaps. what you wont get usually are bad storms, angry whales, nor run down in the night. rare. but if you do, a tough all glass boat from the 70s will keep you safer than most of the thin plastics now being made. designers: luders, crealock, rhodes and similar types. have had 2 luders, 1 crealock, 1 yamaha, 1 ranger, and an incredibly old crocker. if your gong to just day sail or stay on the coastal routes, then any plastic will do.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook