SailNet Community - View Single Post - Those new fangled Mantus Anchors..Bought One...Why
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchoring in storms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hey,

So if I understand this, you bought an anchor so that if a storm (big storm) is going to hit, you will move your boat from the dock to somewhere else, where you will deploy your anchor (or anchors) and ride the storm out on the boat?
No. I will not stay on boat in a hurricane. The boat is prepared for the storm in advance. First choice is to stay at pier. I have three choices: stay at pier, anchor out, haul out. In every storm, each of these methods fail about equally. The marina is sheltered fairly well except to the southwest. 26 lines, to 11 pilings, everything redundant, in advance of storm, then go home. When that wind hits, especially from SW, it gets so rough in there, that it would be nuts to try to even board the boat. But if, as leading up to Irene, there is a large boat improperly tied up next to me, I'm not going to keep my boat there and let him crash down on us, especially when he has a record of damage in such storms. At that point, before the storm, the boat will be anchored out. A better place would be in a hurricane hole (creek here), but I draw too much to get into most of those, so the option is going to be on the river in fairly open water. I have an inflatable dinghy with 15 hp. engine to get to/from boat. Hauling out is not good, because the boat yards are low and are going to flood in the 9 ft. surge that we typically get. (Tying up to accommodate 9 ft. up and 5 ft. down while staying in confines of slip so boat isn't speared by a piling is tricky also, but I've got that more or less worked out over many storms.)

It is only a boat. I will not risk my life trying to ride out a hurricane.

But there is a second type of storm, not as big, as when a front comes through and you are anchored out. Since if I'm in this second type, I'm likely away from a marina and I would stay aboard then.

Last edited by NCC320; 08-15-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook