SailNet Community - View Single Post - Luff in the luff of main sail
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Luff in the luff of main sail

I race J-22's. Because there is no connection between the gooseneck and the tack on a J-22, you may need to apply a little (and I mean very little) cunningham just to keep the sail from creeping up the mast. Unlike big boat, J-22's are often vang sheeted in heavy winds, meaning that you need to take out twist with the vang and play the sheet to vary angle of attack. Applying backstay and outhaul help as well. The jib lead may need to move one hole aft (roughly 1-1.5 inch) which opens the head of the sail. Care should be taken to make sure the jib is not over trimmed. Look for a full time flying jib batten teletale and the skirt of the jib just inside the toerail. If there is no chop, extra jib halyard tension may also be needed to blade the jib a little. And as others have said, in the really heavy stuff, the fastest way up wind may be luffing the mainsail big time. The key is to keep just enough leech in the game to prevent lee helm so keep an eye on where the tiller ends up.

One other J-22 oddity. In gusty conditions the jib trimmer does a small ease before the mainsail trimmer which helps the helms take a bite and feather up.

Since there are no instruments on a J-22 (class rules) your best bet is to trim watching your point and speed against the nearest boat.

Despite their minor iteosyncracies, these are really super boats to race or simply daysail.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook