SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoughts about liveaboard
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012

Famoffour is on a distinguished road
Thoughts about liveaboard

I came across this community a couple days ago while looking for a boat to buy.
I love all the posts people here are really helpful. So after 2 days of just reading all the threads (well not all but allot) I decided to join.
I have alot of questions. We are a fam. Of 4 our children are 3 and 9.
My husband shared the idea of buying a boat and living on it. At first I thought he had lost it. Until I started reading about it. I guess there's lots of families who do it. We have have two houses that we would have to rent out cause we are to upside down to sell. But that's ok I've been renting one now for 3 yrs. Anyways. But life has become to complicated. 15 yrs ago we were living in 30 ft 5th wheel with his two children and I loved it. The freedom and no stress. I remember being very happy back then.
My husband has mechanical experience working for dodge. And can rip any engine apart and put it back together also the past 10 yrs he's drove truck and can pretty much drive anything. He also has been diving for 20 yrs. so I think with all the up keep that goes with a boat we have somewhat of an advantage.
I really would like some input. Are we just crazy? As everyone is telling us. We just figure we are not getting any younger 38 and 43 so why not. Our main plan is to get the boat live on it learn to sail than eventually move to Maui on it. We have his son there and other family members there. However they all work 2 jobs 7 days a week just to pay for rent there. That's not how I want to live. So our solution is this. Our son said you can buy a mooring there out right for 3000 but slips are 20yr waiting lists. That way we wouldn't be paying high rent. All suggestions please.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook