SailNet Community - View Single Post - Not to be repetitive, but greeting from the Windy City
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012

sparrowe is on a distinguished road
Re: Not to be repetitive, but greeting from the Windy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTallSailor View Post
Can the timeshare be further sub-divided? Could maybe four or five novices and one seasoned seaman acting as mentor share the cost and coordinate their combined boat time ?
I assume the answer is yes - Pinnacle encourages captains to register their 'crew' - in my case, that was my spouse. But most of the other captain-crew pairs were buddies from work, father-son, etc. I suppose you could extend this to a larger crew. The one catch is that the captain has to be on the boat. Maybe that would be your seasoned sailor acting as mentor. Whether you can have two captains on one share is a question I'm sure Gary Feracota would be happy to answer.

Having friends lined up to sail with you is a great idea. We had hoped to do most of our sailing with friends; turns out, not everyone jumped at the opportunity to go out on the lake. The few that were enthusiastic sometimes had scheduling conflicts. So, we did a fair bit of sailing with just the two of us. It was enjoyable and we learned a lot; however, it is usually more fun with four people on the boat than two.

By the way, Pinnacle provides a lot of support for relatively novice sailors. In fact, they insist that you 'pass' a basic sailing test. If you are new, they offer a series of five learning sessions on the water (at a modest cost) to get you up to speed. We did that - it was similar to ASA 101, but with greater emphasis on docking, as well as on Chicago specific concerns (don't try to sail up the River, etc.). We bought a couple extra sessions with an instructor; it was worth every penny in terms of our confidence in handling the boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook