SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoughts about liveaboard
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Thoughts about liveaboard

Read about the Crafton family. I worked on several of Thor Hyerdahls later projects and had the privilage of meeting him several times. I also was freind's with his niece and her daughter. When he did the Ra expedition, he wanted to bring Alex, my friend, his grandneice with him but her mother said" HELL NO". She was 1 years old. But he would have if he could have. He wanted to prove the Egyptians brought children with them to the new world. He settled for a monkey. Any way's, You can't put a price or time limit on seamanship skill's. And aquiring them with children on board is too dangerous. These people sailing with children are already masters in there own right. I cruised off shore as a child, but my parents and Grandparents were very experienced sailors before I was born. You can however expedite the time it takes by commiting to seamanship training, not on weekends, but on a tallship sailing school, Long term, one year at sea. I spent 4 years on one as a yong man. You can't beat the training, and there are quite a few out there. The kid's also don't need to make the crossing. Look into Big catamaran's, they have a great family liveaboard set up. I spent most of my childhood on the hook, with out a.c. or a fridge and loved it. I've known many liveaboard family's on the hook so don't let people tell you it's out of the question. But don't for a minuet think crossing an ocean is like driving a semi, or r/v, they have absolutly nothing in common what so ever. Send your husband to sea for a while on a commercial vessel, he can make money while he hones his skills and get's credentials. The right company will pay for his STCW, A.B., training ETC. and pay him while he's in school. Once you have the skills and the right boat, you have the world. Tug boat companys are hiring these day's. Navigation and safety at sea are first. The sailing part is actually the easy part so don't let that intimidate you.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 08-16-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook