SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stop freakin' waving at me!
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Stop freakin' waving at me!

This thread continues to demonstrate how Sailnet never fails to create a heated debate about the most trivial topics.

I was always taught (by my grandfather, my father, and multiple sailing mentors) that waving is considered common courtesy on the water, and failure to wave can be considered a sign of distress. If a Coastie goes by, I strongly suggest that you wave, or your likelihood of being boarded goes way up. I don't wave to big tankers or ferry boats (unless the passengers wave to me), but in general if I can see the face of someone on the boat, I wave. I consider it a good safety practice, because I'm looking for acknowledgment that the captain of any recreational vessel knows I am there and will (hopefully) steer around me if I'm under sail.

I just love the video in this post. It captures perfectly the spirit of boating, and how a friendly wave is unique to boating and a bit odd and inappropriate in other settings.

Frankly, I think the OP is sounding rather old and crotchety. I'll keep an eye out for him on the water so I can wave extra enthusiastically just to annoy him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook