SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stop freakin' waving at me!
View Single Post
post #137 of Old 08-17-2012
TakeFive

Re: Stop freakin' waving at me!

This thread continues to demonstrate how Sailnet never fails to create a heated debate about the most trivial topics.

I was always taught (by my grandfather, my father, and multiple sailing mentors) that waving is considered common courtesy on the water, and failure to wave can be considered a sign of distress. If a Coastie goes by, I strongly suggest that you wave, or your likelihood of being boarded goes way up. I don't wave to big tankers or ferry boats (unless the passengers wave to me), but in general if I can see the face of someone on the boat, I wave. I consider it a good safety practice, because I'm looking for acknowledgment that the captain of any recreational vessel knows I am there and will (hopefully) steer around me if I'm under sail.

I just love the video in this post. It captures perfectly the spirit of boating, and how a friendly wave is unique to boating and a bit odd and inappropriate in other settings.

Frankly, I think the OP is sounding rather old and crotchety. I'll keep an eye out for him on the water so I can wave extra enthusiastically just to annoy him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
PO of 1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
Take Five is SOLD (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome