SailNet Community - View Single Post - Those new fangled Mantus Anchors..Bought One...Why
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
re: Those new fangled Mantus Anchors..Bought One...Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I cannot imagine that disassembling the Mantus is a quick, or easy task...
4 minutes, 22 seconds to disassemble the Mantus anchor with two wrenches.

I carried the new Mantus 35 lbs. anchor to the boat yesterday for disassembly and storage. Placed two hatch boards on floor of cockpit to protect the fiberglass against scaring. No damage to wood hatch boards either. Worked at a normal rate to disassemble the anchor and I expect that reassembly will take approximately the same time. The disassembled anchor stored well and compactly in the cockpit storage locker. In putting the package back together I will have to allow a couple of minutes to get the three anchor parts out, the chain, and 5/8" rode. Also a minute or two to shackle chain to nylon rode and to anchor. In my case, where the bow area is occupied with two other anchors, I plan to use the boom (as a cargo boom) to deploy/recover the anchor: Connect mainsail halyard to boom for support, connect a block & tackle with a Johnson Grab and Go hook to boom, connect anchor to hook and swing over the side, well clear of hull. For recovery, use anchor windlass forward to recover rode, use boat to break out the anchor and transfer anchor with appropriate line back to where I can hoist anchor into cockpit with boom as above. Cockpit is a good place to disassemble the anchor as it has room and is next to storage locker. Sounds complicated, but it is not and I already have all those other items that I mentioned. Because there is some slight possibility that a washer, bolt, or nut might get lost, I bought a couple of extras from Lowes to have available if needed. I think it's going to do what I want. If you are keeping such an anchor forward as one of your primary anchors, of course you don't have to do the above.

Two other comments:

The anchor being heavy with a relatively sharp point (so that it will dig into bottom) could damage the fiberglass hull if it were to hit, so in using it, one will have to be careful in that regard.

Now, while it will fits my bow roller in place of the 33 lb. Bruce, I have to admit that the Bruce looks better up there. But anchoring well is the objective in this case, and the new generation anchors do this better based on most testing. The appearance issue would be the same if it were a Rocna or Manson.

Last edited by NCC320; 08-17-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook