SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seaworthy Sailboat Help!
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Seaworthy Sailboat Help!

If these are your goals,
"A friend and I, both 20 yrs old, and are experienced surfers and sailers. We've both always wanted to go on an adventure to wherever we might end up, meeting new people and surfing new breaks along the way. So the plan is to be crossing oceans as big as the Pacific. Basically going around the world in a criss-cross, zig-zag pattern, stopping basically wherever we want." And

"We would preferably want a center-cockpit so that we can each have our own birth(aft-berth and v-berth). Obviously a functional galley will be needed, and at least one head w/ a shower."

Then none of these make any sense at all:
"Olson 30"
"New York 36, Santana 34, Santana 30, Schock 35 "

In reality these boats are okay for their purpose, but were by no stretch of the imagination even vaguely intended for what you are proposing to do. Faced with your objectives it seems like you should have a more focused list of criterial than you do.

For example, the traditional rule of thumb for distance voyaging is that the boat should have somewhere between 5,500 lbs and 11,000 lbs of displacement per person, with the upper end of the limit creeping up as better hardware and the desire for more space has prevailed. This displacement per crewman was generally a compromise between carrying enough supplies and consumables and what could be easily managed by the crew.

Similarly, you will need adequate tankage, storage, ground tackle handling. You will need good seaberths (vee berths and aft cabins berths on smallish boats are useless features offshore), an offshore suitable galley and head, and a pretty robust boat to take the kind of use and abuse that distance cruising implies. Nice as they are to have as a liveaboard, showers really do not make sense on an small distance cruiser (use too much water and take up too much space)

Lastly boats in good shape with these kinds of features do not come cheaply, but the can be found. If I had to start somewhere I would look at perhaps something like a first generation Seawind, Ericson Independence (31C), Pearson 323 or perhaps a Westsail. There are better performers out there but probably not with the mix you would need to do what you want to do....

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 08-17-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook