SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seaworthy Sailboat Help!
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Seaworthy Sailboat Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTony View Post
Am I missing something here? There is no way you will get you get a seaworthy boat and do the necessary outfitting for $25,000. If you want to sail the Pacific, you're going to need at minimum two to three times that amount. Even a 40 year old Westsail will need a lot of work.
NO NO NO NO NO. That thought process is why more people are'nt doing it, My buddy just sold is 1966 Cal 36 for ten grand, ready to go. For over the hill suburbanites who are new to the game and need all the crap their house had in it to even consider living on a boat, yes the 80,000 dollar gadget boat is a must. For young adventurous, salty, dudes, all we ever needed was a sound hull, stout rig, some decent used sails and a compass. And YES, you are missing out on the wonderful life of simple barebones, gadgetless and affordable cruising that quite a few of us enjoy. I'm betting your "absolutly need's" are guy's like me "Absolutly don't want's" and that's fine. But these dudes should know that yes, they can get a boat for $10,000 and have $15,000 for the trip.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 08-18-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook