SailNet Community - View Single Post - Melting Marinco plug on my Honda EB3000 generator.
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 08-18-2012 Thread Starter
Melting Marinco plug on my Honda EB3000 generator.

I ran my Honda EB3000 generator this morning to charge my bank of batteries on my boat. Over the last day or so, I have had a problem where my Freedom 20 suddenly shuts off but restarts in a few seconds. When this happened, I went outside and checked the connection of the cord on the generator. All appeared to be fine and the problem stopped.
Today, I ran the generator again with no problems. When I was preparing to put it away, I pulled out the Marinco plug and found one of the contacts had started to melt on the plug on the cord.
A few years ago when I first bought our boat, I had a similar problem where the plug plugged into the boat. I replaced both fittings(cord and receptacle) and the problem was solved.
Any suggestions on what to do. Is the plug on the Honda side defective and if so, how can I check to see if it is? I have a spare cord(tough to get out here in Fiji) but am a bit hesitant to use it for fear of melting it too(last one I have) if the plug is indeed bad. It ran just fine today but tomorrow is another matter.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome