SailNet Community - View Single Post - 29 Gulf Island Sloop
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012

Qualicum is on a distinguished road
Re: 29 Gulf Island Sloop

Hi,
When out of the water the Gulf Island 29 has a very similar profile to the Alberg 30. The 1ft difference is quite pronounced, quite a bit less space inside than the Alberg. Having said that the G.I.29 is perhaps just a tad tougher than the Alberg. It's displacement is the same in spite of it's smaller size. The Alberg had absolutely no steerage in reverse whereas the G.I 29 does have some steerage in reverse but not a whole lot. They sail almost identically but the G.I has more weather helm that the Alberg. I recently returned from a 900 nm trip in Wrinkles and I must say I only became more endeared to her. She is lovely to sail, lovely to look at and very comfortable inside. I had lots of room inside because I was alone. She is good for 2 but more than 2 for other than a day trip would be a challenge. Wrinkles sails very well down wind. On one leg of my trip I did 20 nm wing on wing, between anchorages, in 3 hours. It was an awesome sail. Albergs are very soft and heel over very quickly with any kind of wind. Wrinkles still does that but has a little more resistance to it (hope that makes sense) I sailed my Alberg to Hawaii and back and would not hesitate to make the same journey in Wrinkles. I had Wrinkles surveyed and came out with no recommendations - which is a first for me with any boat. I know Albergs are subject to mast compression and have to be fixed correctly to prevent it. I dont believe that could ever happen with the G.I 29 because the mast is directly over a very heavy bulkhead. I was not able to find out any more information but I did hear of one gouing aground on a rocky beach this past April and considering what it went through the damage was minimul. They dragged it off the rocks, ran it to a yard and fixed it quickly. They are tough! If you have any specific questions please ask and I will do my best to answer them.
Peers Pendlebury
(aka: Wrinkles Dad)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook