I rigged up the asymmetric spinnaker today with my beautiful new lines (dyneema core with tapered jackets) and it worked well in the light breeze we had tonight. Too bad the lake was a bit lumpy.
1. I found a good spot to attach a block, just behind the furler. I think I'll rig a snatch block with a tack line that runs back to the cockpit in the future.
2. I ran the sheet through a block at the aft most possible position on the toe-rail track. It's not far enough back so I need to find a better location for that turning block.
3. Since the spinnaker halyard is actually a genoa halyard, everything had to be run within the foretriangle. I expected this to make gybing more difficult but it worked quite well, save for a little bit more chafe than I'd like on my expensive lines. I hope this is the case, even when the wind comes up a little stronger.
I expected more fuss on hoist and douse but everything went very smoothly with the help of my crew. I'm glad I had 2 extra folks onboard tonight as we figured out tack, block and line placement.
I still need to change the sail number on this old sail, but at least she flies and flies easily. The wind died and the lake was lumpy but it got the job done. Here's a quick vid... sorry, not exciting and no music.