SailNet Community - View Single Post - Older Boat Insurance
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Older Boat Insurance

For those of us cruising our boats (homes), we are completely at the mercy of these scallywags. As we search for reasonable (hah, that's a laugh) insurance, we're being over-charged or denied coverage if we're in a "hurricane zone" or if the boat's too old or a hundred other "risk" categories. We are aboard 24/7/365, should anything go wrong. Aboard to hear that leak that began as a tiny trickle, smell the electrical wire burning or catch that broken topping lift before it fouls the mast in the next slip. It should cost us LESS, not more.
By the way, any company that doesn't require a survey on an larger sailboat or ocean cruiser is a con. You can't believe that an insurance company will take your word that your boat is actually worth a hundred thousand to a quarter million dollars. Beware!
But it really boils down to this, for me; damage claims rarely equal the deductible for us cruisers, so am I going to bet the insurance company 6-10 thousand dollars a year that I WILL sink my boat? There's something just plain WRONG about that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook