SailNet Community - View Single Post - LEDs afloat
Thread: LEDs afloat
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: LEDs afloat

I'm not a huge fan of cluster LEDs. I prefer single ones with a decent reflector, just personal preference. FWIW I used to work in the factory that makes the substrates for the LED manufacturers. They're all made of solid sapphire crystal, grown the same way as the watch faces. Though the watch face ones are about the size of a film canister, and the ones grown for LEDs are about 60lbs...
We used Timex's crystal as seeds to start most batches because they were so little but that's getting off topic.

The interesting bit to this is the spec. Nichia and lot of the other cheap ones had a very loose specification. Luxeon and Cree had a much tighter spec, that was very different from the other ones, they also paid about 4x as much for it. Whether that makes a more quality product or not, I've never had one of their LEDs fail.
The best LEDs to my mind are properly controlled with a decent power source, and a good quality heat sink.

For marine stuff, I really like Lunasea, I think they are the supplier for West Marine as well, though at a huge mark-up of course.

Voltage tolerance from 6-24v input and on clearance they are very affordable. Like 4.40$ for a festoon bulb vs west marine prices
Or this
LED Wall Lamp - Indoor - Cool White LED’s
24$ for a single 3w led controller, and all in a nice stainless lamp. Hard to beat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook