SailNet Community - View Single Post - Older Boat Insurance
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Older Boat Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
My insurance company asked for a survey on my boat this year, and I have no problem with that. The survey they conduct is not the same for insurance as for a purchase. They are looking at seaworthyness and safety. It is not unreasonable for the insurance company to want to confirm that the mast isn't going to fall down, or the keel fall off! My survey flagged a couple of potential issues that I wasn't aware of, and have since addressed. They only ask for it every 5 years on older boats so if you amortize the cost over that time it isn't that expensive. (if it breaks the bank for you then perhaps you shouldn't be a boat owner!) If it keeps my insurance premiums down, then I have no problem with it!
Seaworthiness. So how long does it take and what kind of "expert" charging $700 (my latest estimate for a survey) does it take to confirm that a boat is not falling apart at the seams? You just keep paying through the nose without questioning this rip-off. If you need someone else to tell you there is something wrong, perhaps you should not own a boat.