SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to establish residency for live aboard
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012

boating2go is on a distinguished road
Re: How to establish residency for live aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
We are currently MD residents with a marina as our legal address, used the slip lease as our lease to open bank account, get drivers license and voting cards. The computer for drivers license demanded a slip # in addition to the street address of the marina but no other complications. This was all since 9/11 and the drivers license was just in the last 3 months. They want a specific location, i.e., an apartment or in our case slip number, not what they think of as general delivery to the front office - the computer at the drivers license office flagged our address as "incomplete" without the slip number. We get our mail at the marina street address without "c/o Joe's Marina" as a separate line item. Now my legal address as printed on my driver's license includes Slip F-44! Now that's living aboard!!
We lived aboard for years in Maryland and used the marina's address until 2007 when we received a letter from the DMV stating we had to have a residential address. We tried the PO box with no success, tried a UPS mailbox with no success, got fed up and went into DC to get licenses. We used the UPS mail forwarding service to get the mail at the marina, a pain and additional expense but worth it to stay aboard. One benefit was the DC taxes wound up being cheaper than the Maryland taxes so money wise it was about an even swap.

If you are a Florida resident with no income tax why do you want to establish residency in Maryland? I know a lot of snowbirds that list Florida as their official residence so they don't have to pay income taxes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook