SailNet Community - View Single Post - 29 Gulf Island Sloop
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012

Qualicum is on a distinguished road
Re: 29 Gulf Island Sloop

A remarkable similarity in appearance, it is hard to believe that they were produced by 2 different designers. The minor differences I can see are the nav lights are aft of the 2 forward windows and not inbetween as on the Islander. The displacement of the Islander is about 1,700 lbs lighter than the Gulf Island and although the picture shows a full keel the specs say a fin keel. I see on the Islander that it has a huge boom and is rigged exactly the same as Wrinkles with the 2 pulleys instead of a traveller. That situation is a bit challenging and I would like to change it but have not figured out just how to do so yet. The main problem is that the tiller is set all the way aft and so has to be operated between those 2 pulleys. On the plus side the tiller does not take any room up in the cockpit but it does have limited side to side movement between the pulleys. When needing more sideways movement I have to raise it up and put it outside the pulleys. The system does not lend itself to a conventional traveller, there is no where to fit one. The Gulf Island was designed by Derek Cove and was manufactured at the Chine Boat Yard in Vancouver (long gone). Are you sure that the specs match the drawings?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook