SailNet Community - View Single Post - Western Shore Marina Recommendations
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Western Shore Marina Recommendations

Congrats on your "new" boat and welcome to Sailnet. Regarding your question about delivery options, I think the best option is for you to hire a delivery captain to deliver the boat to you and you come along as crew. The captain (should have US Coast Guard license) would be in charge and responsible for navigation and boat operation and you would participate in helping pilot, crew and other boat tasks. You will gain immeasurable knowledge of your boat and how it operates, how to get it to perform at its optimal best, like having your personal trainer with you, every step of the way. If you cannot do that due to time constraints or other commitments then it becomes a decision based more on money / cost. The trucking option is quick, safe and efficient. It is pricey. To hire a captain also can be pricey and other tangible and intangible costs are involved such as the need to wait out weather when making those off-shore hops, equipment failure and breakdowns on this boat you don't know about beyond the survey, and other unanticipated issues. I would get estimates of costs for both options and carefully decide.

The marina options are plentiful in your area. Herrington Harbor North is a good option as they are competent and responsive. There are other good marina options there as well and marine supply is convenient. The main drawback is having to sail down to the bottom of Herring Bay to go other places. The cruising area is very good as well with lots of great destinations once you round Herring Bay R2 mark.

South River and West River have options as well. There are marinas in Selby Bay. I am not familiar with them but others are. Selby Bay is close to the Chesapeake which is good. West River's main detractor are the high number of crab pots you must avoid, particularly at the junction with the Rhode River. Both rivers have high powerboat numbers which can be annoying due to lack of a speed limit.

Continue to do your research. The closer to Annapolis, the pricier the marina. Sometimes a 20 minute drive will open up much more options for sail area and marina experience. We keep our boat on Rock Creek, off the Patapsco River and can recommend Oak Harbor highly. They have good and honest service and are good to deal with but they are probably much farther than the 20 minutes I talked about in general.

Good luck and welcome.

Tod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook