SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone use a checklist
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone use a checklist

I use a number of checklists. There is no way that some crucial thing will NOT be overlooked without them. 1. A very long, 3 page, 3 column list of all the things that need to be done before casting off for extended trips. This includes home items to be done before leaving as well as things that need to be put aboard, food, supplies, etc. Things like "move routes and markers from home computer to flash drives" are on this list. 2. A list of things to do before lifting anchor on ANY day. This one is pasted right beside the companionway. 3. A sequential list of things to do before raising the mast. It's a big PITA to discover you forgot to attach that Windex. 4. An "offshore" checklist if heading out away from sight of land for more than a day. 5. Ditch kit list kept right in the bag. 6. Steps to set up and deploy the sea anchor. This is not something you do every day and it may someday need to be done in the right sequence under duress. Many of the launchings of these things go awry. 7. Besides these printed lists, I have a day to day Excel spreadsheet, set up as a calendar and budget. It has all the important dates to remember (like paying property taxes, insurance bills, renewing documentation, etc.) projected out a couple of years. I also use it to record any credit card expenditures so that bills can be paid via stamp and snail mail even if I can't get the statement or if there's no https secure wifi available.

Last edited by smurphny; 08-20-2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook