SailNet Community - View Single Post - Knapps Narrows Incident - Post Mortem
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Knapps Narrows Incident - Post Mortem

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
All the other stuff aside; how long do you people need to have a boat before you learn where the cleats are and stop banging your toes on them?
Come on, people, get a grip and some situational awareness!
Thanks for the tip, but I believe I’m reasonably capable of sorting out the deck layouts of most boats I get on fairly quickly… These days, trust me, that’s often easier said than done…

On my own boat, I’d really have to make a special effort to trip over my midship cleats. The measure I take with the chocks is more of a preventative one against the possibility of snagging a lazy sheet/guy, or a safety tether perhaps, and simply seems to me like a seamanlike and worthwhile precaution to take offshore… Lines or sheets will eventually get caught on virtually anything if given half the chance, and I just shake my head at the amount of crap that will easily do so on many cruising boats today, and how little attention is paid to keeping decks as clear as possible… As good an indication as any, I suppose, of how little sailing some folks out there actually do…

Always a tradeoff on the deck of a small boat, but I’ll sometimes accept the addition of another tripping hazard in order to avoid a likely place for a sheet or control line to get hung up… The short yellow shock cord run to the lower lifeline is such an example, it’s needed to inhibit my genoa sheets from catching underneath the corners of my tender stowed on the foredeck…

But, rest assured, when I leave the cockpit at night, I’m well aware of all the lines I might have lying on deck, and that I must step over both my boom brake control line, and that little shock cord up forward, well before I arrive at either… (grin)

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook