SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gulfstar 37 advice
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012

rmeador is on a distinguished road
Re: Gulfstar 37 advice

I haven't done any work to my chain plates, but they appear to be in good condition. They are not glassed into the hull, they are bolted in (and mine are also sealed with something that might be 5200). The chain plates are accessible from the interior of the boat for inspection, and my surveyor said they were fine so I haven't bothered with them. The water and fuel tanks are largely inaccessible; both have a ~6" diameter access port in the top, but that won't let you access most of the tank because of the baffles. Also my access ports are frozen in place. I bleached my water tank quite thoroughly and added a nice filter and the water seems fine (it has no taste or odor). I wash with it, brush my teeth with it, and on occasion drink it, but I still drink mostly bottled water because I've never had it professionally tested. My boat came with a holding tank already installed. It's under the counter in the head, outboard of the sink. It's shaped to fit up against the curved hull there. I just finished replacing the entire head and hoses (everything except the holding tank), so I'm quite familiar with that setup. There are removable panels inside the cabinet behind the toilet which allow access into the space where you run the hoses up to the deck fitting for pump out (and where you'd also pro was bably want to put your vented loops). That same panel allows access to at least one chain plate.

1976 was pretty early in the production run for the Gulfstar 37, so things might be slightly different on your boat. Is the traveler in the cockpit or forward of the companionway? The very early ones had the traveler in the cockpit, which I don't think is a very nice design.