SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone use a checklist
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone use a checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDS123 View Post
If you need a written checklist every time you go out, you are sailing a boat that is way too complicated or fussy.

Time to downsize to something more simple or less complex.

Daysailers are perfect for 99% of what most people do.
Subtle advertising there. So, using the OP's question, do day sailers never have shore power, or other such things that could be forgotten? I can't count the times at a ramp I have seen small boats leave a through hull open and just barley make it back to the trailer before disaster.

This is an issue of workflow that works for the individual. Some of us are the preverbal absent minded professors and a checklist, written or mental is a good idea. I dingy sail right now and have forgotten things as I pulled away from shore in the excitement to get out. PFD lying on the trailer for example.

While I am new to sailing (can I keep saying that years after buying my boat?), I use a mental check list and visual scan before moving whether launching my raft for a multi day trip, pulling into the snow on my sled, or getting into my car to drive to work.

Come up with a method that works for you and your crew and stick to it. It works.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook