SailNet Community - View Single Post - Western Shore Marina Recommendations
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Western Shore Marina Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasn View Post
Thank you Tod,

For the welcome and advice. I was thinking that I would love to crew on my new boat's delivery, so I will definitely be exploring that option. (I may be putting the horse before the cart here, as I still have to have my offer accepted, personal inspection, survey and sea trial, completed, but I'm confident that this is the one..)

I'm guessing that there's probably better expertise options in marina service and support, the farther north one gets to Annapolis. (I'm also guessing that there may be more service options meaning competition could help with service costs.) However, I live in Calvert County and would slightly prefer to have my boat at a Marina somewhere between Herrington Harbor North and points south, as it would make driving to it, a little easier. So far HHN looks like it may work out the best. I'll ping them later today to ask about rates.

Thanks again,

Jason
Did I miss a post on why no one is recommending Herrington Harbor South if that's closer to where you live? Do you require a boat yard at your home marina or is having one associated and 1/2 an hour away good enough?

I was at HHS for 2 seasons and can attest that its a first class facility with the feel of a vacation resort. My complaint was that the place was like a vacation resort -- after two seasons I could still go to the pool and not know a soul. Plus parking was tight both our slip and for our car so we decided to try HHN and the slips they could offer me looked even more challenging than what I already had so we decided to go much lower key and try Shipwright Harbor. I can throw a rock into HHN from my boat, and its a closer walk to Calypso Bay and West Marine from my slip than some slips in HHN. SHM does look like a dump in comparison to HHS/HHN though. Despite that, So far its a good fit for us and we already know the crews of nearly a dozen boats, so to us, Shipwright is much more of a community feel. Depending on how far south you live you might also consider marina's in Solomon's. There are several that I hear good things about but I really liked Spring Cove Marina. In our search for a new slip though we decided it was too far from our home in NOVA.

There are plenty of reputable marine trades in Solomon's as well as HHN, so don't give them short shrift thinking you need to go to Annapolis to get skilled marine trades.

Good luck with whatever you decide and welcome to Sailnet.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 08-20-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook