SailNet Community - View Single Post - I'm Done
Thread: I'm Done
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
I'm Done

Not wanting to sound like a whiny Sinead, but it's been 12 years and so many hours since I joined this forum. That's almost a whole lifetime for a dog that needs to be put to bed. I was here for the coup of 04, or was that 05, I'm not sure anymore? That's pretty much the time the last of the old guard was here and a new batch of experts rowed their way from some backeddy onto the scene. Since then the camber has slowly deteriorated as SN lost its way in the fog of egos.

I'm sure there's a number of theses primadonnas, nay self proclaimed experts with their endless years of experience that'll attempt a witty remark or retort at another rat bailing ship; but here let me help you. For anybody interested, just take a look at the member list. Only a few of the pre-2004 members are still around, many like me were/are waiting for a change. Most of the current hatch of crustaceans latched on here between 2006-2008. Since then many of them have logged over 10,000 posts in 4-5 years. I was taught that practice makes perfect. How can one possibly practice sailing techniques if they're always at the keyboard? Hmmm. One thing for sure, they've become adept navigating a keyboard. I really can't comprehend 10,000 posts as I've personally only logged including this, 512 in 12 years, but still hold a rep power of 13, the same as some with over 3900 posts, higher than many, but probably as undeserved as the rest.

The rating system is obviously nepotistic as the 20 -30 top rated members like to shower each other in bouquets and accolades while carefully controlling the tenor of threads and posts. For a forum that proclaims to be "the largest sailing forum in the world" with a listed membership of over 155,000, the balance of power is very lopsided while the majority remain voiceless; many silent for fear of reprisal from the bully squads. I too have participated in this past time over the years yet feel remorseful having been drawn into this negativity.

Frankly, I could care less for the pedantic, repetitious, redundant responses this post may elicit. While not the first nor the last to jump the SN ship, I have even less care, and even less time to stay where the tide ebbs and flows in a world where the members still believe the world is flat. I'm going sailing.

"Water, water, everywhere, And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere, Nor any drop to drink."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to sea_hunter For This Useful Post:
rackham the red (07-01-2014)