SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Wifi on board

Tags
wifi
4K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  coupdemistral 
#1 ·
First I want to apologize because I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum but I've searched the forums and while I've found some useful info, I still have some questions.

In the fall, Chris and I will be traveling from the Chesapeake down the ICW to Florida. I'm working full time from the boat - I work for a promotional marketing company (so if anyone needs swag, hit me up!) and I also run our organic clothing line (Happy 2be Here), AND I'm the webmaster for our blog (see signature). Needless to say, I'm on the internet more than I'd like to admit!

Since this trip will take longer than the number of vacation days I have left (and I'd rather save those for a week in the Bahamas), I will need to work full time during our trip, which means I need to be connected for at least 7-8 hours a day.

Here is the best solution I've come up with so far:
1. Get an omnidirectional wifi extender AND
2. Get Verizon card

Is this the only/best option to ensure connectivity? I understand that while under way, the Verizon card will be more practical, as the extender won't have continued signal as we move. I would still like to have the extender so that when we're anchored, I can try to get signal without eating the data on the Verizon card.

My second question is: when using an extender, are you only able to connect if you find an unsecured network? Does anyone have one that can lend any insight to this? Is it difficult to find unsecured networks? It seems that most people secure their networks now, so I don't want to spend $300 plus just yet on this equipment if it's only going to get me a useable signal every so often.

Sorry for the long post and for bringing up a likely much touched on subject, but hoping for some fresh views. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
hello Melody,I might be able to help you out. Verizon has what is called a 4G hotspot this is a unit the size of a credit card and as long as you are within cell phone range you will have a very powerful WiFi unit that you can secure your self or share it with friends it will run up to six computers with excellent power. I have one I carry in my pocket I use it in the car when I'm visiting and mostly on the boat, I am amazed at the distance that this unit works. It cost about $200 but it is only $60 a month once you have it set up you can buy time for it at most any convenience store or you can reload it with your computer if your offshore. I hope you will be satisfied there are others on the market but they do not have the range, Virgin mobile as long as you in their a good-sized city it will work is only $40 a month there will be others out on the market soon....captg

#4 ·
Shop around before committing. There are many carriers offering 4G hotspots and/or tethering to a phone plan. You need to decide whether to buy a "plan" (2 year commitment) or go monthly. I strongly prefer the latter. WalMart has some exclusive deals that are sometimes a little better than elsewhere, so have a look there. I recently switched my cell service to T-mobile monthly plan - "unlimited" data and text, 100 min talk for $30/month. (I use Skype for phone calls above 100 min.) This plan is available at WalMart or Tmobile.com only. With an unlocked Android phone, you can configure your phone as a wireless hotspot on this plan if you don't get caught. T-mobile also has hotspot plans that are fully legit.

#5 ·
Hi Melody:

My wife and I ran an online business from the road for 18 months while traveling the US in our motor coach (2009-2010). We used a Verizon air card and a wireless router to provide internet service to two computers (and a printer). The air card plugged into a USB port in the router. For $60 per month we had available 5G of data transfer. It worked well in most locations where Verizon Wireless cell service was available. It sounds as if the 4G Hotspot of which Gary speaks might be a "next generation" iteration of the air card. As with the 4G Hotspot, our air card cost about $200. Only once did we go over 5Gs of usage in a month, and we did a lot of volume, but consistently used 3-4Gs.

As far as wifi goes, my experience is that almost everyone secures their signal. However, more and more businesses are providing free wifi (Panera Bread, Starbucks, etc.). So, the wifi extender may be a viable option in certain locations, and it can certainly help to ensure that you don't exceed your 5G allotment.

Kermit

#7 ·
We're also using a tethered phone - and have gotten signal almost everywhere the length of the ICW with the exception of part of central NC. But ... I'm only on for an hour or two at the beginning and end of the day. If you're on for 7-8 hours, check your data usage to make sure you don't exceed whatever plan you're on. svAuspicious (Dave) is a sailnet member here in Annapolis who's got lots of expertise in this area.

#9 ·
Thank you, everyone! I figured the 4G broadband was the way to go - worried a little about exceeding the 5GB data limit, but can always find a way around that if I need to (i.e. checking and answering emails from my phone, which gets unlimited data and using pc just for my other purposes).

I'll check out the Active Captain thread and talk to some people mentioned above but based on the advice here and what I've gotten from people here at the marina, Verizon is my best bet. As always, thanks again for the advice and expertise!

#10 ·
Get the Verizon card with the new share plan. We've been using it now for 4 years on our 3rd generation equipment. We also have the cellular booster (not WiFi booster) and we've been able to connect up to 10 miles from shore. We work off our boat too, so internet connection is a must.

#13 ·
Note the GSM hotspots would allow you to change SIM cards if you hit your 5GB limit. If you hit your limit one month, you could activate a new SIM card and pop that into your phone or hotspot and keep working. For instance, the T-mobile $30 plan that gives you 5GB per month does not shut you down when you hit your limit - it just throttles you back to 2G speed. So when you hit your limit you could load up a second $30 card and keep going at 4G speed.

Unless you do a lot of video streaming or send huge email attachments, it's actually difficult for one or two users to use more than 5GB a month. You should also turn off automatic Windows updates (or whatever other computer OS) and do the updates manually when you have free WiFi access.

Reactions: melody1204
#14 ·
If you are worried abiut the limits of a data plan you can try what did. I have my hub from Tmobile they have Xgug at 4G and unlimited at 2 G granted it is slower but it does always slow you done. Have had friends playing online games via this for hours straight and no slow downs

Jeremy
Pearson 10m

#17 ·
I have been using the ATT wifi. It works awesome. 4glte really is (or seems to be) broadband speed and 46 is a bit slower than dsl but doeable.

Let me caution about Verizon as they may not have the same coverage in the keys as ATT. THat was why I did not go with them.

Brian

PS My cost is $50/month for 5 gig, plus $10 for every gig over.

#19 ·
This is where I plan to buy mine (probably tomorrow)!!

Marine PC's & WiFi by IslandTime PC

ALso, regarding the use of the wifi booster, my experience is that most marinas have WIFI, but few of them are actually reacheable from your slip. I would love to think I could use this on the hook, but reality is that I would just like to be able to use the marinas (which I pay for) from my boat!!! I suspect you will have the same issue.

Brian

#20 ·
??? We have an Alfa range extender from Amazon, $25. We can see our marina's wifi, and the neighboring marinas, and the ones across the creek. Was a bear to set up, but once done, it's be fabulous for the last couple of years, down the ICW & Bahamas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.