SailNet Community - View Single Post - In-mast furling
Thread: In-mast furling
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: In-mast furling

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
What is the process to convert an in-mast furling system to a standard slab reefing system?

I have heard that the big charter companies are moving away from the in mast fullers? Is that true?

What is your experience with the in-mast systems and in conversions.
David,

To be honest I do not think its practical to convert back unless you go for a new mast. You'd have to put some kind of plate over the opening in the mast and a track onto that. Not to mention the fact that you'd end up with a bigger heavier mast than needed. (note - Seldon furler masts have a secondary track for a trisail. Perhaps this could be used but it is off centre.)

Now, having used a furling mast for the past year and a bit I have to say that I am quite happy with the thing. Beats the hell out of stomping up forward to manhandle the main when reefing.

Why would charter firms go back ? Cost perhaps, while modern lazy jack systems may make sail handling a lot easier, or are they going in boom ?

Regards

Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 08-23-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook