SailNet Community - View Single Post - I'm Done
Thread: I'm Done
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: I'm Done

I personally also hate to see any member leave, but especially members with sailing experience and a willingness to pass along the wisdom learned through experience to others. But in reality, I have been on SailNet since around 1996 and have watched as members have come, contributed and then moved on. And in most cases, it has been sad to lose a valued member, and the some of the discussions have been somewhat diminished by the loss, but in all cases it has not been a tragedy in terms of the long term viability or vitality of SailNet; And, after all this is the internet and not real life.

To be frank, while lately there has a lot of discussion about decamping long term members, I do not believe that we are losing any more long-term contributers than we typically lose. What does seem to distinguish this period more than anything else is that many of these members have written valedictory posts on their way out. And the ensuing discussions have allowed fellow members to examine and comment on why they have chosen to come to SailNet vs. other sites, or vs. not even spending as much time online.

And in reading the comments, both public and private, based on members taking the time to reflect on their time spent on SailNet, some have chosen to take their departure while others have become more aware of how much they value being here. But also some have tried to provide constructive commentary about how Sailnet could or should be made better. While some of these suggestions imply potential actions which the moderators are considering, most are commenting on the actions of the members themselves.

Which gets to the heart of the matter. SailNet is only as fulfilling as its members make it. The best we, as moderators can do is provide a place where civil discourse can take place and to correct dangerously grossly inaccurate statements when we see them. In the end it is the quality of the members and the quality of the discourse that will make SailNet the kind of place that attracts new members and retain old ones. But no matter how good the discourse, there will always be some valued members leaving, and hopefully equally valued members filling thier shoes.

Lastly I have moved this thread to Announcements and Suggestions because it is not a sailing related discussion and not to hide the discussion.

Respectfully,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 08-21-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook