SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winter storage on Great Lakes
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012
Badger Sailor

MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Winter storage on Great Lakes

Tim,

A couple other things of note –

Depending on the yard, “heated” indoor storage is often heated to just above freezing. Don’t expect the temps to be much more than 40-50 degrees. In my yard, $1.99 / sf outside; $4.75 / sf indoors; $7.99 / sf for heated indoor storage. Also keep in mind that yards with indoor storage may not be open in the winter or may be open limited hours.

There are more yards without travel lifts than those that have them. Yards with a travel lift do offer you the choice of mast up or dropping the stick every year. Yards without a travel lift may have an extra charge for dropping the mast in fall and stepping it again in spring. I have a cradle. It is very stable in all conditions and I normally keep the stick up in winter.

In my area it costs roughly $800 to have my boat shrink wrapped. A custom winter cover pays for itself in three years.

I’m not sure what you have for bottom paint now. Many of us, on the great lakes, use VC-17. It dries and is ready for water within 15 minutes or so of application. Once in the sling, I hit the spots on the hull that I couldn’t get to when the boat was in the cradle. Launch 15 minutes later.

Many options for those of us who haul `n store our boats on the hard in winter. Don’t underestimate the cost of winter storage or overestimate the access you think you might have to your boat in winter.
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Madison/Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook