Thread: In-mast furling
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: In-mast furling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Had this conversation at a cruisers get together at Hogs breath cafe, Port Douglas, seems those that have it would never have anything else, and those that didn't have it hated it or secretly wanted it. I for one don't have it but hope my next boat does. It seems there is no problem furling in up to 45 knots as long as you have the angle right between the boom and mast, those that know told me they just mark the boom vang control sheet and keep tension on the out haul. The only problem seemed to be as the sail got old and worn it would stretch and this bagging of the sail did hamper the furling process, they fixed this by having it re cut and stitched.
I've used one a fair bit on a Hunter 38 and I don't like it. We've had problems with a curl in the sail up high jamming it - had to hoist the skipper up with tools to unjam it and have had to be VERY careful when furling ever since. There is very little room in the slot for any wrinkles etc. to fit through. I also find it very hard work to wind in & out - lots of friction. It has to be winched the whole way. It takes much more effort than conventional hoisting from the boom.

I vastly prefer lazyjacks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook