SailNet Community - View Single Post - Western Shore Marina Recommendations
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road
Re: Western Shore Marina Recommendations

HHS is pretty pricy compared to marinas in Rockhold Creek - though I imagine cutting out the 30 minutes of motoring around the sandbar might be worth it. At 38 ft, you might draw too much water to cut across the sand bar – which is doable.

[Just to head off people saying you could sail down to the tip of the bar, it's due south with a somewhat busy / narrow channel and the wind is often coming from the South. So it's a lot of tacking while avoiding fishing charters. I’m sure a dozen people on here do it 4 times a week.]

We have kept our boat at Paradise Marina over by Skipper’s Pier restaurant for the last two years and love it. It’s not a resort marina with a pool, but it does have a nice, new, clean bath house and the landscaping is great. There are only about 65 slips total so it has a very neighborly feel and the walk from slip to bath house / ice machine / parking is never more than a minute.

Paradise isn’t a working boatyard, but you are literally across the creek from HHN, Shipwright and several others – which is where I store my boat in the winter.

If you want a low-key marina with friendly people who are just as likely to be sitting in the shade with a drink as they are to be polishing some brass or chrome or heading out on the Bay, Paradise is the place. It’s large enough to deal with upkeep but small enough that inviting a few dozen friends out on a Saturday evening for a crawfish boil (which I’ve done) doesn’t causes a stir.

PM me if you want any contact details.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook