SailNet Community - View Single Post - I'm Done
Thread: I'm Done
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Re: I'm Done

Quote:
You bought a Catalina??? Was wondering when you would come around. I haver no prob, given your awesome contributions here, to changing your name to CatalinaMan. Want me to go ahead and make the change??
Wicked, wicked, man. No Catalina in my immediate future, but I have great respect and admiration for the brand. My dad owned three (22, 27, 30) and I worked for 2 dealers in NJ many years ago. When we were considering our current boat, I looked seriously at a Catalina 36. You won't see me disparage a Catalina, Beneteau, Hunter nearly any other brand (there is really only one manufacturer's boats that I loathe, but that's irrelevant). If it floats, I'm game.

On a more serious note, I'm mystified that some may consider SN to be biased toward larger vessels or more experienced members. I really don't see that. An experienced member may be more emphatic because their experience is often learned through hard knocks but I've never detected an arrogance. Regarding smaller vessels, my wife and I are considering a significant downsize to a sport boat that we can afford to aggressively campaign. So you won't see a bias against small boats from me.

The "I have $1000, no experience, and want to sail around the world" posts can be tedious at times but who am I to quash someone's dream? Like anything else, if they have the drive, they'll achieve the goal. Otherwise, their project boat will eventually come on the market.

Quote:
You forgot "humble."
You're right! Humble.... that's me!