SailNet Community - View Single Post - macgregor 22
Thread: macgregor 22
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road
Re: macgregor 22

At one point I owned a Mac 25 and it was an OK boat. I bought it for much the same reasons you indicate you want the 22 for. Mine was a swing keeled boat. My only real complaint is that sometimes it simply would not tack. Perhaps it was the poorly tuned rig or maybe it was crappy sailing on my part but in light air that thing would not tack without the iron genny's assistance. All it would do was point close too but not through the wind and then fall off again. It only did this in light air though and for some reason I seem to remember only with the wind a 1/4 astern. No idea why. Besides that the sailing performance was OK, I figured it for a lake boat or sheltered water boat. The pop top is really nice for when you need to be below decks. I don't know about "your" 22 but I suspect it will be similar.

Good luck.

Brad
s/v KIVALO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi View Post
I sailed a banshee when i was a teen then stopped sailing at 18 only to start again last year at 44. I have been sailing a Rebel 16 and a banshee. truthfully I have been sailing the banshee way more than the Rebel.
I came across a Macgregor 22 that is in pristine shape, it is from the 1970s, and has a 150 jib that has the self winding feathure that would allow to sail with the jib partially rolled or fully extended. I am considering trading my rebel for it as the price is really low. I know the mac gets a bad rap, but I am thinking of buying it as a stepping stone. I am not really sure if I will enjoy a large boat so I am figuring this would be a good way to try one out without much financial risk.
Does this sound okay? Will the mac sail okay?
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook