SailNet Community - View Single Post - I'm Done
Thread: I'm Done
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: I'm Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by brehm62 View Post
I've seen people claim that you can't buy a good boat for less than $100,000. That statement is clearly absurd. But perhaps it isn't arrogance; maybe it is just stupidity.
Definitely stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brehm62 View Post
As for the notion that a larger boat means more experience I also have serious doubts about that. I have posted on boards where members were scared to death to sail out of sight of land but they attributed their requirement to have the largest possible boat under their feet to everything but fear. Others insist on a larger boat because they can't stand being inconvenienced. I'm sorry but being afraid or having to be as comfortable as possible doesn't make someone an expert.
I'm definitely in the "can't stand being inconvenienced" crowd. Definitely not in the fear crowd.

But I also love to race...it just that I don't mind racing my theoretical big, comfy boat and living with the less than VO70 results. After all, that's why Einstein invented PHRF. And racing is freakin' FUN!

I'd just say you need to worry less about the distinctions and just enjoy the fact that we all like to sail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-21-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook