SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Willcox-Crittenden Headmate - Fix or Float Test?

10K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Stu Jackson 
#1 ·
I have a Willcox-Critenden Headmate head fitted to my sailboat.

It has been a nightmare.

With poor performance, it had a full service with all service parts replaced at New York on passage down the ICW - Maine to N Carolina. At Anapolis I replaced all the hoses.

Still poor performance, so I bought a replacement head the following year after a 11 month lay-up. Given my large investment in Heatmate spares, it was another Headmate - all brand new.

After another 9 month lay-up, the new Headmate was fitted for a trans-Atlantic passage and the old pump fully serviced as a ready-to-fit spare.

On passage, the new Headmate leaked, became hard to pump and the plastic "T" broke, so a new pump was fitted.

This pump lasted a bit but eventually started to leak and had to be serviced. This was successful for a bit.

Later the second "T" handle broke. Epoxy repairs did not last long.

SInce then I have serviced the pump twice and have reverted to the original aluminium "T" handle because I have run out of plastic ones.

Other than the 3-person trans-Atlantic passage, the boat has not had much use sincce the brand new Headmate was fitted.

Does anyone have any advice on how to keep a Headmate going reliably.

Do I carry on trying to fix it or do I float test it and install a Jabsco one?

See less See more
#2 ·
Jabsco heads are even worse than the WC Headmate 90.

What I would highly recommend you do is buy a Raritan PHII or PHC LBA kit. It is basically the entire head except for the bowl. That would effectively give you a Raritan PHC or PHII head for a good deal less money, and the Raritan PHC/PHII are the most reliable manual marine head for under $500 according to Peggie Hall.

You can get them at SBO... $220 for the PHC LBA and $290 for the PHII. I know the bowl off the Headmate fits, since this is what I did with my Headmate last season. Also, the headmate 90 was discontinued by WC about three years ago, so getting parts and such for it will just become more difficult as time goes on.

If you have questions, please feel free to ask.

#4 ·
Yeah, but an electric head is a lot more work to install than replacing a Headmate with a Raritan LBA PHII or PHC..
I agree with Dogne. I have onwed a headmate and they are trash. The PHII is a great toilet and Raritan even sells a household size oval bowl for it.

Now that I have an electric head I will probably never go back. Makes a huge difference when living aboard.

#6 ·
The Lavacs are excellent, but they take a bit of getting used to and are twice the price of the Raritan LBA.

#8 ·
I have one of the old WC Imperials on Argyle.

Completely disassembled and installed all new components from a rebuild kit. Got it working but it leaked nasty from around the base of the bowl. Also leaked seawater from the pump.

Re-packed the packing gland on the pump and sealed up the base of the bowl. Still leaked from around the pump. The bowl doesn't leak anymore, but the flapper valve on the bowl doesn't close quite properly so now some "Stuff" squirts back up at you when you pump out.

Poor mans bidet, I guess.:(

The Lavac is on the sort list of things to buy and install.

#12 ·
I have a Willcox-Critenden Headmate head fitted to my sailboat.
I'm sorry.

It has been a nightmare.
I know what you mean.

Does anyone have any advice on how to keep a Headmate going reliably.

Do I carry on trying to fix it or do I float test it and install a Jabsco one?
Follow SD's advice and when it fails and you run out of spare parts, replace it with a Raritan PHII. That is what I'm going to do as soon as mine dies again. I've never seen such a lousy design that seems to be meant to fail. The only problem I have is that the PHII is a bit larger than the Headmate so it will be a bit of a tight fit in an already small head.

#14 ·
True, but the LBA kit that SD refereed is less. I'd love a Lavac, but really can't figure out where I'd be able to install the pump in this tiny head. Hence the PHII or PHC.

#16 ·
I got rid of my Willcox-Critteden and replaced it with a Lavac years ago. Best thing I ever did! It's nothing more than a big manual bilge pump and seals. No moving parts / flaps to break, etc!

The biggest issue determining installation is where to put the pump. My boat has a compartment behind the head which the pump could be fitted with the handle protruding out through a bulkhead. Go to Lavac's website and look at the schematic and measurement to see if it works for you.

#17 ·
The biggest issue determining installation is where to put the pump. My boat has a compartment behind the head which the pump could be fitted with the handle protruding out through a bulkhead. Go to Lavac's website and look at the schematic and measurement to see if it works for you.
I could put the pump in behind the head, but it would take up limited space in an already tight locker. I've checked out the Levac website and installation information. It just isn't going to work.

Now, I could probably put one in the forward head. I have a bit more options there.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.