SailNet Community - View Single Post - I'm Done
Thread: I'm Done
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: I'm Done

And I haven't posted anything yet because I'm so tired of all 'ur bitchin' and complaining and wiping the eyes while waving "good bye".
Now Brian Jones has dragged me into the pool with him yet again. Mick Jagger couldn't care less. He and Sir Paul can always rent whatever sized boat they need.

To those that think that SN is all about folks that can afford $100K boats and have never sailed their way up the sailing ladder of dinghies, guess again. I'd bet that 30 - 40% of the "old timers" here (those over 50 to you whippersnappers) have sailed their asses off on beach cats, Lasers, Lightnings, Flying Scotts, Melges Scows, even wind surfers etc. To you upstarts I say that having a heavier keel boat is a lot easier to sail than a board sailor and a lot safer for my old, enfeebled brain. So what if my boat only cost me $4K to buy. It has cost me waaay more then that to actually keep it in good working order and bottom painted each year.
I loved sailing my small boats. Still do. They are much more challenging in many ways and teach a lot of lessons a lot faster then a fat old keel boat that I now love and care for.
I still sail on Sunfish. Just because I have access to some and I'm pretty good at it. There is nothing like getting a small Sunfish up on a plane on a broad reach in 15 knots of wind. It is wet, athletic and makes me feel good to do so.
Lots of people can afford bigger, more expensive boats then I can. Do I care or resent them? No way. I like what I have and I don't want to give any of it up.
Little boats rock. Big boats rock a bit less but can easily handle uglier conditions. They are very similar but not at all alike.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook