SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Dragonfly 28 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Iīm still considering the Dragonfly 28 as an alternative, although alot smaller.
So, yesterday I was out on a test sail with the Dragonfly 28. There was a 8-10 knots breeze with gusts around 12 knots to start with, flat water. I sailed with the swedish Dragonfly represantative, only the two of us.

Started with main (44 sqm) and jib (24 sqm) on a beam reach with speeds around 7-8 knots. We rolled out the code 0 (45 sqm) and speed increased to around 9-12 knots.

Wind then increased to 10-12 knots with 14 in the gusts and we gybed back and hoisted the asymetric spi (105 sqm) on a broad reach, doing 10-12 knots steady, with our top speed of the day at over 14 knots. At this point the boat feels absolutely wonderful, it flies over the water and the ride is super smooth! I could go on forever!

We then turned back upwind, again with main and jib. I canīt say for sure but I think we were tacking over 85-90 degrees, doing 8-9,5 knots of boatspeed, sailing very upright in comfort.

Then it was time to end the test sail and we headed back home to the harbour. This boat is so versatile. Close to the harbour we folded the boat in a couple of minutes, decreasing beam from 6,5 to 2,5 meters. Absolutely amazing folding system on these boats!

The inside of the boat is a bit smallish, alot smaller than the 32, but still very thought through. The v-berth is quite beamy actually, should sleep two adults without problem. The aft bunk underneath the cockpit is a bit small, only 1 meter wide. I think it will suite the kids well, they are still small. It is possible to sleep on both sides in the saloon as well, but passage to the toilet and v-berth is on the starboard side of the saloon table so itīs a bit inconvenient to use the starboard bunk.

The optional cockpit tent is really nice! It creates another room on the boat. Very important I think on such a small boat. The cockpit is pretty roomy especially since it has no main sheet track. Six people can sit in comfort with the tent up.

There is a two burner stove and a sink in the galley and some shelves and lockers. The fridge is under the raised floor on the port side of the saloon table and is good sized.

Storage for clothes and other items is at first sight a bit inadequate, but look closer and there is acutally some storage space under the bunks and some other places. You canīt bring your whole wardrobe but I think that for my family storage space might just be enough. Sails etc can be stored in the floats.

The overall quality and finish seems high and even though the boat is foldable it still feels very rigid when sailing. There was a Honda 15hp outboard which was more than enough for this 2,000 kg boat. It was raised and lowered by pushing a button, which is not possible with the 10hp standard engine. A tiller link made maneuvering very easy.

Here are a couple of videos of this boat, I think one of them was published earlier on this thread:

I woke up this morning, still with a smile on my face. I think this boat will be hard to beat!

Cheers!

Mr W

Last edited by Mr W; 08-22-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook