SailNet Community - View Single Post - Too Much Sailing for a 9 day trip?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Re: Too Much Sailing for a 9 day trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausagebarn View Post
We are planing a cruise this weekend and my wife thinks I am a little over ambitious. What do you all think?
We have a C&C 29 MK3.
An 8 y/o and twin 6 y/o children.
We are generally somewhat adventures but kids I know prefer to not spend HOURs in any boat.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...46303,0.839767
Looks fine, if the kids (and wife) are accomplished and dedicated cruisers who participate in and enjoy the sailing of the boat. But since you made this post, I would suspect that they are not, or at least, not yet.

Many sailors make the mistake of assuming their loved ones will love sailing as they do, and then quickly burn them out. There is no worse situation than owning a boat and having loved ones who dont want to spend their time on it.

So if I am guessing correctly as to why you made this post, my advice is...forget about the sailing, and plan the nine days solely from the perspective of what the wife and kids may enjoy. If you lose them on this trip, you wont get them back.

Pick two or three interesting destinations ( interesting to the family: good shopping, ice cream, museums, swimming, hiking...). Spend a few days in each location. enjoy camping on the boat, fun meals, playing in the dingy (must have an OB...), swimming, games, etc.). Throw in a two hour afternoon sail if good weather.

Keep the travel down to 3-4 hours underway every second or third day, and only in good weather. If you have distance to cover, have a buddy join you to deliver the boat to/from the destination.