SailNet Community - View Single Post - Overnight Sails on the Bay
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Overnight Sails on the Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklaus View Post
I know we've listed favorite spots to drop anchor, but I was wondering about some of people's favorite towns on the Bay.

I would like a day sail from Herring Bay, anchor up at a marina to explore the town and then spend the night on the boat.

Any suggestions - Eastern or Western shore as we might have some friends meet us by car.

Thanks,
Nick
Assuming your friends are coming from the Greater DC area, Annapolis is the easiest place for what you want to do. It would be the shortest drive for you friends, you can get a slip or you can pick up a mooring and your friends can come out to the boat by water taxi (really cheap).

St Michaels or Oxford are also easy sails from Herring Bay, but would be a further drive for your landlubber friends. St Mike's has a lot to see/do while Oxford is more a rustic quiet get-away sort of place. If you opt for St Michaels you can go up eastern bay and down the Miles River and take a slip or try to find a place to anchor (I understand they have a water taxi at St Mikes but I've never used it) or you can go through Knapps Narrows and up St Domingo Creek to anchor and dinghy in which is my prefered way to visit.

Can't help with Oxford as its still on my to-do list.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 08-22-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook