SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1977 Catalac 9m - will I die?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012
Max Hax

blistovmhz is on a distinguished road
Re: 1977 Catalac 9m - will I die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQuinn View Post
Will you die? Equate this with this example:

You can travel cross country several different ways...Each requires you stay on board day and night....although you can stop and rest on THIS trip
1. A Class A motorhome
2. S Semi Truck with Cab
3. A smaller truck puling a travel trailer
4. A large SUV
5. A small SUV
6. A Car
7. A Motorcycle
8. A Horse
9. On foot

It is sort of that way with different boats and going off shore....you can do it with any of them...but would you want to?

Heh. I've crossed the country (Canada) 6 times. Several trips in a semi-truck with a king sleeper, once in a pickup, once (mostly) by motorcycle, and i've probably walked nearly a thousand km of the Trans-Canada highway I'm pretty much good either way.

The primary reason I want a boat is for the eventuality of zombie apocalypse, and rent in Vancouver is insane. I don't want to buy a house as the more stuff I have, the less I seem to go out and do. I figure a boat is the least restrictive of all mobile possibilities. I need decent cooking facilities as I can't eat at restaurants, Internet as I do all my work online, and I don't have time to sink to the bottom of the ocean.

The interior work is all cake. Rip out the old headliner, throw in some insulation and some mousefur, rip out all the electrical and just install some lighting and a few plugs in the settee. I don't use much in the way of power and 95% of of what I do use, runs USB or 12vDC. Anything that doesn't run on 12V I'd properly convert. All the lighting would be 12vDC widespectrum LED. I probably have no use for 110vAC.

But, at the end of the day, the entire interior needs to be redone. The hull seems to be in okay condition but the deck needs some work. Mast, step, and sails look good (though the sail complement is sparse with a single furling main and single furling gib), and the motors ... probably run. I don't think that's worth quite $40k, but perhaps I'm just off base.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook