SailNet Community - View Single Post - SSB vs sat phone for weather reports
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: SSB vs sat phone for weather reports

I'm going to ping this idea for the programmers out there. Someone needs to produce a patch cable from an iPad to a pacor modem so Grib files can be downloaded directly, then have a simple app that transmits the request and displays the results graphically. I use WeatherTrack today, which grabs the file using a 3G connection and provides the graphic display. For 90% of the cruising we do, that is fine. Beng able to use the SSB would be a huge advantage.

The SSB-pacor-PC-reader process today is ridiculously antiquated. You should be able to open an app that tells you what freq to dial, choose your boundaries and settings visually and then literally click one button and let it go. I see no reason that can't be done. Must not be a large enough market demand to justify the development.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook