SailNet Community - View Single Post - cruising dinghy in currents and beach camping
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012

driggers is on a distinguished road
Re: cruising dinghy in currents and beach camping

Thanks, great advice / links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
As far as choice of trailerable affordable dinghy, Smack has a thread about a beach cat he picked up for $200 and will be in sailing shape for a total of $600 (I think). Beach cats are extremely seaworthy, and are fast enough in a breeze to outrun a modest current without too much trouble. Super stable too, so the likelyhood of capsize, as long as you are prudent, is pretty low and there is plenty of deck space for gear. They are hard to paddle when the breeze dies however, whereas a dinghy can simply be rowed. A motor on a sailing dinghy seems unwise though, since it will capsize at some point and your motor will be damaged. Also, motors are expensive you are better off investing in a screacher or something similar for light winds IMHO.
I felt that CATs might be dangerous because they turtle quickly and you can't right them easily, and they capsize unexpectedly. Plus they don't seem as comfortable as a dinghy. Am I right about this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook